A couple of months ago, I somehow managed to corrupt the OS on my computer. After teaching myself some basic digital forensics, I managed to recover most of my Unity projects…except for the prefabs for the demo level. That means the level is essentially empty. FUUUUUUUU!
I still have my code up-to-date in Git, so at least I’m not completely screwed. However, between this and finding it hard to program in my spare time (since that’s what I do for a living), I’ve decided to put this aside until January.
Back in January, I decided to update my Linux kernel to include some patches for Spectre. Unfortunately, this screwed up my graphics card drivers, so I couldn’t run Unity (or even some of my games). I thought I’d wait for a bit and get Mint 19 when it’s stable.
Just two weeks ago, I decided to try upgrading Mint to 18.3 (which is stable, and will be supported until 2021), but that didn’t make things any better. Eventually, I gave up and did a fresh install, overwriting my entire hard drive. I missed one or two projects (particularly a project for a generic AI framework and automated test bed for it), but most of my stuff was backed up. Including the stuff I actually wanted to work on 🙂
So, I’m starting The Phishers’ Gauntlet again. This time, I’ve set up a Git repo for version control, and have given myself a year to finish it. I’m planning the 0.1 release to be at the end of this month, though I’m already ahead of where I wanted to be thanks to backing things up 🙂